Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Richest Rodeo In the West!

One of my many out of state trip led my to Reno, Nevada! By now I have gotten used to the early morning security run through and the airport workers and I are on a first name basis! It's always good to see the friendly face of a new acquaintance.

I was excited to hear that I would be staying with Patsy Ulch and her daughter and past Miss Rodeo America Selena Ulch Pope would be there for the week as well. I was looking forward to meeting them both as I attended the Reno PRCA Rodeo! I knew I would be seeing some awesome rodeo talent while I was there.

I landed in the Reno airport ready for an adventure! Waiting for my luggage and feeling extra chipper, I smiled widely as a young man approached me. I wondered what kind of question I would receive this time. I always love meeting and talking with people in the airports, It a great place to share what I know about the sport of professional rodeo with them. The young man looks me over and asks, " Are you here for the car show?" A little stunned at first by his question, I smiled and cheerfully replied, " No. . . I'm here for the Reno PRCA Rodeo!" He chuckled at me and said, " I know that. . . . . I'm a stand up comedian." The joke was on me! We both laughed as we grabbed our bags.

My weekend was already off to a great start. I felt privileged to be picked up from the airport by Selena herself. She greeted me with a big smile and I could definitely tell why she had been chosen as Miss Rodeo America! We had a short ride together and then she dropped me off with the other visiting queens. I could not believe my luck. . . . . One of my best friends Miss Rodeo Utah Ranea Cowley was there. I hopped in with her and we were on our way.

It was lunch time when I arrived and Renea being awesome like always suggested ice cream!!! It was a wonderful treat and then we were off to the rodeo! First thing we headed to the mutton busters. We helped each of them get their protective vests on just right and make sure their helmets were secure! Some of them looked a little nervous, but a round of Simone Says changed that in a hurry.


We helped them onto their sheep and then again as they waived to the crowd after their rides. Shortly after we were seated in the stand were we could make sure and see all the action. There were so many great cowboys there. . . Blaire Burke, JoJo Lemond, World Champion Team Roper Randon Adams, Kaycee Fields. . . . The list went on and on. We were invited to ride in the stage coach that night as Selena road up top! We all waived to the audience as we were each announced. I had never been in a stage coach before and it was one wild ride! I couldn't wait to do it again the next night.

Afterwards we signed autographs along side the cowboys. We sat there for over an hour, the line never seemed to get any shorter. It was great to see so many excited fans willing to wait to get all of our signatures.







The next morning Patsy took us on a trip to Virginia City! It was an old mining town and the streets were filled with tourists. We visited old gambling halls, saloons, and we even went on a tour of an old mine shaft. There were so many neat gift shops and sights to see. I was so glad she had shared this neat place with us. We all had lunch together and then we headed back to get ready for the rodeo.









We had some extra time before the rodeo, so we watched some of the Bob Fiest Invitational! So many talented cowboys were competing. I wish we would have had more time to watch. We couldn't be late for the special kids rodeo though. There were so many excited children to meet and to help with all of the events. We were then invited to help sing the National Anthem at the start of the rodeo! Even though there was a large group of us I still got a little bit nervous. That was a first for me, I had never been asked to sing before.

Once again we helped the mutton busters get ready. We taught them how to stretch just like the PRCA cowboys do. It was a lot of fun to be able watch each of them ride and to give them a high five when they were done! I can see there is a lot of potential for the future of the sport of rodeo.

I was looking forward to the ride in the stagecoach again. I was surprised when they told me that I would ride on top that night. I climbed up the large wheel and was seated next to the driver. He told me to hold on tight. . . . . the team of horses had run away before. Then he gave me a quick grin. Either way I held on just in case.

I felt privilege to be able to be seated up top where just the night before Selena had been seated. Another fantastic experience that I will probably never have the chance to do again. I waived and smiled as they announced my name and state! I feel very blessed to be representing Arkansas this year, it has been an amazing honor.

I signed autographs that night again and I believe the line was even longer than before. So many amazing rodeo fans. I can see why. . . when there was so many amazing rodeo athletes at one phenomenal event. As Patsy drove me back that night we had the opportunity to talk. She was such a wonderful person. I am so glad I had the opportunity to stay with her and her family.

The next morning I was packed and ready to head back home. It had been a quick trip to Reno, but a very eventful one!


I would like to say thank you to the Ulch Family for hosting me during my stay in Reno, NV. I had such a wonderful time getting to know each of you. Thank you to the Reno Rodeo Committee for letting us be involved with their rodeo and for the once in a lifetime stagecoach rides! Thank you once again the Miss Rodeo Utah Ranea Cowley. . . you always make the trip fun!



Micki Musick

Miss Rodeo Arkansas

















No comments:

Post a Comment